- 1kg of filleted Port Lincoln Sardines (cut to create individual fillets)
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of shallots, peeled and cut into thin rings
- 1 small chilli cut in half
- 1 bunch coriander
- 200mls white wine vinegar
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 limes juiced,
- 1 lime zested
- 2 cups of sweet white wine
Using filleted sardines sprinkle each fillet with crushed peppercorns, a little salt and then lay them flat onto a tray. Add cut chilli and shallots to the tray.
Cover with white wine vinegar, lemon, lime and wine.Leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Using a basic white bread mix make tiny surfboard pastry to fit the size of the sardines with bake until crisp.
Drain sardines well and place on pastry.
Serve with a lemon mayonnaise or dill cream.Australian Southern Exporters, 128 half fillets per kilogram of filleted pickled sardines
Tony Ford, Boston Bay Wines