Sardines

Sardines
The Australian sardine is a versatile species suitable for a range of products and applications. The South Australian Sardine Fishery is a significant fishery in Australian waters. The fishery consistently harvests the highest volume single species yields in comparison to any other Australian fishery.
Purse Seine
The South Australian Sardine Industry is utilises a method of fishing known as purse seining. Sardines are a schooling species, that when located the net (purse seine) is deployed around the school of fish and the catch is pumped on board into refrigerated holds, at below zero temperatures, to ensure the quality of the catch is maximized.
Sardine Harvest
The harvest from the South Australian Sardine Fishery supplies diverse markets. Currently 94% of the harvest is used as a high quality feed in tuna ranching operations located off Port Lincoln, South Australia. The remaining 6% of the catch is supplies a growing human consumption demand, as well as a recreational fishing bait market and premium brands of pet food. The sardine is a versatile species suitable for a range of products and applications.
Economic Output
The value of output generated directly in South Australia and the Eyre and Western region by Sardine fishing enterprises summed to $21.0 million in 2012/13. Flow-ons to other sectors of the state economy added another $31.6 million in output ($14.7 million in the regional economy). The total output impact in SA (direct plus indirect) was estimated to be $58.8 million in 2012/13 ($40.1 million in the regional economy).

The total employment impact in SA was estimated to be 171 fte jobs (105 fte jobs regionally).
(Econsearch 2012/13)